Want to Write a Guest Post for Maps ‘N Bags?
Are you a travel blogger looking to expand your writing portfolio by writing for a top travel blog? We know what it’s like to be just starting out and wanting to get your name out there. If you have a travel or a destination post idea you’d like to write about, we’d love to hear from you.
Important Note: This opportunity is for travel bloggers and aspiring travel writers only. If you are a for-profit, business or affiliate site, please contact us for our guidelines for sponsored content. We do not publish link-building articles.
What We Look for in a Guest Post
At Maps ‘N Bags, we focus on providing practical, useful and exciting information about traveling around the world. While we do have a lot of essential travel information about destinations, we focus primarily on cultural experiences and travel tips. We are especially interested in guest posts that have a unique angle or which talk about unpopular truths in a destination that we have not yet covered.
Guest Post Guidelines
If we accept your pitch, these are the guidelines we will ask you to follow.
- All content must be entirely original and not duplicated from anywhere else on the web.
- Your article must be detailed, practical, well-written, credible, and engaging to provide valuable content for readers.
- All content must be in line with our voice and relevant to our readers. We don’t accept posts or pitch ideas about budget travel, backpacking, solo, luxury, or family travel. We cover mid-range trips, mostly couples, food guides, and general travel tips.
- Your article must have at least 2,000 words. The longer, the better. The article needs to be as long and detailed as possible, to rank high. If you’re writing about a place, you should cover all of its angles, and not leave a lot of questions for our readers to search for elsewhere. For example, where and what to eat, where to stay, what to do, tips, the best time to visit, etc.
- We will do keyword research and provide you with a longtail keyword. Please include the keyword in your headers and build your content around the keyword.
- We reserve the right to edit any content you submit to us for grammar and SEO purposes and to include affiliate links in the content.
- We will reject submissions that do not follow the guidelines.
- Start your article with a 2-3-line excerpt that includes the longtail keyword provided. Please look at our blog posts to get an idea of how they look like.
- Separate paragraphs with headers throughout the article. There should be no more than three paragraphs under each header.
- Each paragraph should consist of only 3-4 sentences.
- If you are planning to include hotels in the article, please only use hotels that are listed on booking.com.
- Try to include the most important content at the end of the article.
- Please include up to one link to your blog in the content. We will place another link to your homepage in the author bio section together with your social media.
- We reserve the right to deny links to competing posts.
- Links to other relevant sites are also encouraged.
- We reserve the right to remove any links I deem inappropriate.
- We reserve the right to add affiliate links to your post.
- We do not accept any links to commercial sites in content.
- Please submit 4-5 high-quality images (780px wide), including one landscape photo to be used as a featured image with text overlay for promotion on social media.
- All photos must be your own and shot on location during your travels.
- If you don’t have your own photos, we will accept creative commons photos with proper attribution. You must send us the URL where you found the picture and the photo credit information, or your post will be rejected.
- If you don’t have enough photos, please inform me, and I will source images.
- Please send an author bio along with the article. It should be approximately 100 words and may include links to your social media accounts and blog.
- We will promote your guest post on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and various other social media channels. We hope you to do the same.
Send us a pitch
Have an idea? We want to hear it! Use the form below or email us with your pitch.
Note: if you’re looking for do-follow links back to a niche or for-profit website, don’t fill this form out. This opportunity is for bloggers, writers, and regular folks only.
We will not accept pitches for content that we already feature on Maps ‘N Bags, so be sure to check our archives before creating your pitch. We also recommend that you read a few of our most recent posts to get an idea of the format and tone of our content.
To make sure there is an audience for the content you write, we will check the search volume for your idea. If there isn’t significant search volume, we will ask you to rethink your idea, or it may be rejected.